Wednesday, January 30, 2013

First rehearsal

I stayed for a few hours, longer than I thought I would but less than I wished I could. It was fascinating. My first impression was that the number of job titles at GEVA is staggering!! My second impression, as the actors introduced themselves, was that being a fly on the wall for a comedy is going to be full of fun and hilarity. I had not really processed the aspect that as a cohort I will be watching the making of comedy, truly a unique experience. Third, as the sit-down, read through of the script began, I realized just how much time these actors had already put into preparing for their characters (Either that, or they are really quick studies and have natural affectation and intonation while reading!). It was a pleasure to listen to their scripted conversation, quickly forgetting that they are people separate from their characters.

Afterwards, I remembered Sean's comments about New American Comedy. He described it as the unicorn; to me, that means it is a rare and magical beast that fills some with desire and envy, some with disbelief and cynicism that it exists, and others with a wonder akin only to believing in the tooth fairy and tinkerbell. Dramatic comedy or serious comedy is what it seems to me. I am eager to see how the lines and the pace and the humor develops as they rehearse them over and over again. The script is quite funny, in a high brow, unexpected as well as an "oh-my-god that's true kind" and now I'm laughing out of nervousness and in earnest. Will it all be so funny and revealing when we have heard these lines over and over again? How do the actors keep themselves surprised and in the moment after playing the scenes over and over again?

Off to a great start. Oh, and I forgot to mention the spontaneous head trauma stories. All of us at our best, just like Ana wants.

No comments:

Post a Comment